Zucchini and potato scrambled eggs - Kolokouthkia kai patates me ta avga
CLASSIC CYPRIOT SCRAMBLED EGGS
Zucchini and potatoes with eggs (κολοκούθκια και πατάτες με αυγά) for breakfast, yes please! I remember my aunty making this for me when I was younger and I could not get enough. It is a classic combination of flavours for a Cypriot breakfast.
My aunty would shallow fry the zucchini and potato to get them super crispy. For a healthier and easier option I roast them instead. The zucchinis turn out so much sweeter this way I think.
Mint is a must whenever I prepare an egg dish. Absolutely love the flavour it gives the dish. Drizzled with lemon on top, with some tomatoes and olives on the side, it is the perfect meal to get the day started. To make breakfast prep faster I usually bake the veggies the night before, so all I have to do in the morning is to scramble them.
• 1 medium zucchini, sliced
• 1 medium potato, chopped
• 1 tbs olive oil
• salt and pepper
• 6 eggs
• ½ tsp dried mint
• lemon to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the vegetables on a lined tray. Drizzle them with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Put the tray in the oven to cook for 25min or until they turn golden.
2. Meanwhile in a bowl, crack the eggs, add the mint and whisk them with a fork to combine well.
3. Use a frying pan at medium to high heat and add the vegetables with the eggs. Stir them together until the eggs are cooked.
4. Serve with some lemon and enjoy warm.