Sultana Walnut Cake
Sultana Walnut Cake recipe! A simple yet flavoursome sponge cake. Yes, it’s vegan too.
185 ml olive oil
20 ml raki
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon soda
125ml orange juice
50g walnut finely chopped
400-425g self-rising flour
- Line a medium-sized baking tray with baking paper.
2. Boil the water and pour it into a bowl together with the sultanas. Leave them to soak for about half an hour or so until they begin to soften.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the olive oil with the sugar, raki, and spices. Mix the baking soda with the orange juice to combine and add this to the mixture.
4. Use a mini food processer to puree the sultanas together with the water and add this to the mixture together with the walnuts.
5. Add the flour mix well to incorporate.
6. Pour into the prepared baking dish. This mixture will be slightly dense.
7. Wet your hand or the back of a spoon and use it to smooth out the surface.
8. Bake at 160 °C for 50-55 minutes. If the cake begins to darken too soon cover it.