Kolokithokeftedes, Zucchini with feta cheese fritters
Here is the recipe for Kolokithokeftedes Zucchini Feta Fritters. You can use any combination of cheese. From plain feta to plain ricotta or a mix of both. You can also add some grated parmesan cheese or tasty cheese. You could also bake this in the oven under a grill if you do not wish to shallow fry them. The fritters go nicely with a refreshing dill yoghurt dip either homemade or store-bought tzatziki although we recommend making your own, it always tastes best. These fritters are a dish that is made on a very frequent basis in most Greek households. You can use as many or as few of the herbs as you like to match your tastes.
500g zucchini, grated
2 spring onions, only the green part, thinly sliced
1/5 bunch mint leaves, dill, and parsley, finely chopped
200g feta cheese, crumbled
80g plain flour
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Grate the zucchini into a bowl and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt to help the zucchini release moisture. Squeeze out the excess moisture using your hands. Transfer to a clean, dry bowl.
- Place the spring onion, mint, dill, lemon zest, crumbled feta, and 2 eggs into a bowl and mix until all of the ingredients are completely combined. Add the flour and combine gently to ensure you do not overwork the mixture.
- Place a nonstick pan over medium to high heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add a spoonful of the mixture at a time into the hot oil. Do not crowd the pan. Gently press down on the patties to spread them out a little. Fry on both sides until nice and golden.
- When ready, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat the same process until all of your mixtures have been used.