Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Greek yoghurt cake
Cake with Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Greek yoghurt
Recipe for a delicious cake with extra virgin olive oil & Greek yoghurt! Ideal for your breakfast table!
The primary ingredients of this cake are extra virgin olive oil and Greek yoghurt. There are many different varieties of olive oil from mild to robust so choose one that you like the flavour of as the olive oil will come through quite strongly. Also, please make sure you choose a really good quality Greek yoghurt with a moderate fat content. This cake looks really beautiful when it is made in a bundt tin but you could use any cake pan, however you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly.
The icing is optional. I tend to make it without but you may prefer it with. Why not try it both ways and decide for yourself.
You can make the icing and have it on the side and put a little on the piece you want to try it with. You could also make any citrus flavoured icing to suit your tastes. That is what I like most about Greek cooking, it is versatile and can be adjusted to suit your liking.
1 cup EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) or Olive Oil if you prefer a lighter version
1 1/4 cup sugar
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup greek yoghurt
2 cups self-raising flour
Lemon icing Optional
1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a bundt tin with a little olive oil.
- Lightly whisk all the ingredient together except for the flour, until the mixture is well combined.
- Gradually add the flour until it is well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- To make the lemon icing, sift the sugar into a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice and water and mix to combine until it is a smooth consistency.
- Carefully turn the cake out onto a plate. While the cake is still hot, spoon over the lemon icing. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.