Olive Oil Biscuits
Ladokouloura - Olive Oil Biscuits. Easy to make biscuits with olive oil and unique flavour!
Biscuits with olive oil are very easy to make they just need time to be rolled into shape. Once you roll them into a log shape you can braid them, join them together to form a circle, make them into S shapes, form into logs, make into ovals or you can get creative and design your own shapes. Biscuits made with olive oil have a unique flavour and tend to be quite moist and softer than butter biscuits. People often ask, can you use olive oil in biscuits? This recipe shows you exactly how to do that.
1.5 cups olive oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon clove and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup port
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
650g plain flour
1/2 cups sesame seeds, blanched
- Place the sesame seeds in a saucepan and boil for 5 minutes before straining. Shake to remove excess liquid and set aside to dry.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2-3 baking trays with baking paper.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the juice.
- Sift the baking powder into the flour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, sugar, port, cinnamon and clove until the sugar dissolves and then add the juice with the baking soda.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, bit by bit.
- When the flour is mixed in, start to knead in the bowl for a few minutes, adding more flour if needed, until the dough doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Take a piece of dough the size of an unshelled walnut and form into desired shapes, then place on the trays.
- Dip into the sesame seeds and pat to flatten ensuring the seeds sit well into the surface of the biscuit.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.